byDesign helps startups, small businesses, and other early-stage companies achieve success through the power of design. As a team full of founders and entrepreneurs ourselves, we've seen first hand that design is meaningless without strategy and business acumen to back it up. That's why we created byDesign and byDesign Monthly.
Each client that subscribes to byDesign Monthly is given a dedicated design director: and we hope that's you. Our Junior Design Director position acts as the middleman between our clients and our design team, ensuring quality, as well as making sure the client's overall strategy aligns with the work that we produce. While the position doesn't require a ton of hands-on designing, we encourage creative freedom to make changes and edits as needed. A creative director on the byDesign team would see a normal day look like this:
- Utilize Slack to communicate with client's questions or comments.
- Attend to design requests submitted by clients and assign them to the design team, communicating the client's brand and managing overall direction.
- Communicate with the design team to ensure the client's strategic vision is fully executed.
- Provide valuable input or feedback to our clients if you feel like there's something they could be doing better with their work or strategy.
- Check-in with clients on a monthly, bi-weekly, or weekly strategy call to realign on goals.
When we're looking for someone to join the team, we look for these characteristics.
- Someone who is motivated about design and has an entrepreneurial spirit.
- An individual that is well-versed in the business and startup world.
- Has an eye for design, and a background (either individually or professionally) of three or more years.
- Hungry and proactive.
- Effective communicator.
- A good sense of humor is always a plus.
Now to get to the nitty gritty details of what the expectations of the position could be.
- The position is fully remote (but our team hubs are in Richmond and Los Angeles).
- Schedules are very flexible, but generally should be available during business hours Monday through Friday.
- This is a contract position that is paid hourly. Early on, hours on a weekly basis should range from five to twenty.
- This position is meant to serve as a stepping stone into a full-time creative director role.
This is an opportunity to get more experience in the intersection of business and design, learn more about internal operations, be a part of a growing team, all while practicing your skills as a consultant and designer. On your own schedule.
If you've got any questions about our company, the team, culture, or the position, drop us a line in that chat window in the bottom right.